Academic Training is off-campus work authorization for J-1 students. It can be used for work, training or experience related to your field of study.
Note: International sponsored students must get permission from their sponsoring agencies before considering Academic Training. If your DS-2019 was not issued by MU, these instructions do not apply to you.
- J-1 student in good academic standing.
- In the U.S. primarily to study rather than engage in training.
- Have a specific employer with a specific description of the training opportunity related to your field.
- Obtain a letter from your prospective employer. The letter must include:
- Job title
- Brief description of the goals and objectives of the training program (employment)
- Dates of employment
- Location of employment
- Number of hours per week
- Name and address of your training supervisor
- Review the employment letter with your academic adviser to discuss if this training is recommended. If so, your adviser will complete a recommendation in myStatus — you will request this as part of step 3.
- Submit an Academic Training Approval request in myStatus.
- Your international student adviser will evaluate the program and decide whether it is appropriate. If so, your adviser will issue a new DS-2019 with Academic Training endorsement.
Things to remember
- You can apply for Academic Training any time before completion of your program of study, but may participate during or after your program.
- You must have a job offer to apply and employment can be full- or part-time, though all Academic Training is authorized as full time, regardless of actual hours worked.
- You can start working once Academic Training has been approved by your international student adviser and you have received an updated DS-2019 with academic training authorization.
- You can change employers during your Academic Training; however, the training program must be recommended by your academic department and authorized by International Student and Scholar Services before you may switch employers.