Academic Training

Academic Training is off-campus work authorization for J-1 students. It can be used for work, training or experience related to your field of study.

Note: International sponsored students must get permission from their sponsoring agencies before considering Academic Training. If your DS-2019 was not issued by MU, these instructions do not apply to you.


  • J-1 student in good academic standing.
  • In the U.S. primarily to study rather than engage in training.
  • Have a specific employer with a specific description of the training opportunity related to your field.

Application process

  1. Obtain a letter from your prospective employer. The letter must include:
    • Job title
    • Brief description of the goals and objectives of the training program (employment)
    • Dates of employment
    • Location of employment
    • Number of hours per week
    • Name and address of your training supervisor
  2. Review the employment letter with your academic adviser to discuss if this training is recommended. If so, your adviser will complete a recommendation in myStatus — you will request this as part of step 3.
  3. Submit an Academic Training Approval request in myStatus.
  4. Your international student adviser will evaluate the program and decide whether it is appropriate. If so, your adviser will issue a new DS-2019 with Academic Training endorsement.

Things to remember

  • You can apply for Academic Training any time before completion of your program of study, but may participate during or after your program.
  • You must have a job offer to apply and employment can be full- or part-time, though all Academic Training is authorized as full time, regardless of actual hours worked.
  • You can start working once Academic Training has been approved by your international student adviser and you have received an updated DS-2019 with academic training authorization.
  • You can change employers during your Academic Training; however, the training program must be recommended by your academic department and authorized by International Student and Scholar Services before you may switch employers.