Transferring from MU to another school

To transfer from MU to another school, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • You must be maintaining your status at MU.
  • The course of study at the new school must begin within five months of the end of the course of study at MU or the release date set by MU, whichever is earlier.
  • You must be eligible for an I-20/DS-2019 at the new school.
  • The proper transfer procedure must be following, including meeting the required deadlines.

Steps for transferring to another school

  1. You are admitted to another school and decide you want to attend that school.
  2. You complete and submit the transfer out authorization request in myStatus.
    Transfer date: The date you transfer schools is called your release date. As of this date, you will no longer be considered an MU student. For F-1 students, this date must be between the end of the semester at MU and the beginning of the next semester at the new school, and must fall within your 60-day grace period. Employment authorization will be affected by your transfer date. J-1 students must transfer within the current program dates.
  3. An international student adviser will submit your transfer request in SEVIS.
  4. On your release date, your SEVIS record will be automatically transferred to your new school.
  5. The new school will be able to give you a new I-20/DS-2019 on or after your release date.
  6. Report to the international student office at the new school by the program start date listed on your new I-20/DS-2019.

If you are traveling, you must use the I-20/DS-2019 from the new school when you re-enter the United States. If you are concerned that you might not get your new document before you leave the U.S., please contact your new school.