Visa categories

International Student and Scholar Services supports international faculty, researchers and staff employed at MU and provides assistance to the academic units hosting them. The majority of international visitors and employees at MU are J-1 or H-1B scholars.

  • J-1 scholars are participants in the United States Exchange Visitor Program. Through the program, foreign nationals visit the U.S. temporarily to teach, lecture, study, observe, conduct research, consult, train or demonstrate special skills. Participants are expected to return to their home countries when their programs have concluded.
  • H-1B scholars are international workers who perform services in specialty occupations requiring a specialized body of knowledge.

There are other entry options available. Specific restrictions apply to each option and should be considered carefully.

  • TN visas were developed as part of the North American Free Trade Agreement to facilitate the entry of Canadian and Mexican citizens into the United States to engage in professional business activities on a temporary basis.
  • B-1 and B-2 visas are for business visitors or tourists. These visa categories may be appropriate for temporary visitors coming to the U.S. for conventions, conferences or consultations.
  • The Visa Waiver Program enable citizens from certain countries to travel to the United States for periods of up to 90 days without obtaining a visa.