When traveling outside the United States, you must have in your possession the proper documents to return tot he U.S. and resume your activities. These documents are:

  • Passport (valid for at least six months beyond the dates of travel)
  • Valid J-1 visa stamp in the passport
  • DS-2019 authorized for travel

Any time you plan to travel, please bring your DS-2019 to walk-in advising at least two weeks prior to your departure date. Be sure to also bring your passport and a copy of your I-94 record with you. Emergency situations will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

If you need to apply for a new visa J-1 visa stamp abroad, please submit updated financial information so that a new DS-2019 may be issued for you to present at the U.S. embassy/consulate.

Visa appointments in Canada and Mexico

Due to the increased security checks applied to third-country national visa applications at U.S. consulates in Mexico and Canada, International Student and Scholar Services advises against traveling to these border countries to apply for a visa. If you do plan to travel to a third country, including Canada or Mexico, you should check with the appropriate embassy/consulate about whether you will need a visa to visit these countries.