Spouses and children

J-2 dependents

A J-2 dependent is defined as a spouse or unmarried, minor child of a J-1 scholar. These dependents:

  • May enter the U.S. along with or after the J-1 scholar, but never before.
  • May be employed with approval from USCIS and an EAD card.
  • Must have their own DS-2019 to enter the U.S., and to travel and re-enter.
  • May be admitted to school and attend classes as a full-time or part-time student.
  • May not remain in the U.S. in J-2 status after the J-1 scholar has departed unless the absence is temporary.

Inviting a J-2 dependent

You may invite your spouse or unmarried, minor children to join your in the United States after arriving at MU by following these steps:

  1. Submit a request to add a dependent in myStatus.
  2. Provide evidence of yearly financial support for the dependent(s) as follows:
    • $8,400 per year or $700 per month for spouse
    • $4,800 per year or $400 per month for each child
  3. Pick up the new DS-2019 from ISSS that allows the dependent to apply for a J-2 visa.

Dependents apply for J-2 visas at a U.S. embassy/consulate with their own DS-2019. When applying for a J-2 visa, an original or certified copy of a marriage license (for a spouse) or birth certificate (for a child) must be submitted in addition to evidence of financial support. For information regarding additional documentation, consult the U.S. embassy/consulate.