A J-2 dependent is defined as a spouse or unmarried, minor child of a J-1 scholar. These dependents:
- May enter the U.S. along with or after the J-1 scholar, but never before.
- May be employed with approval from USCIS and an EAD card.
- Must have their own DS-2019 to enter the U.S., and to travel and re-enter.
- May be admitted to school and attend classes as a full-time or part-time student.
- May not remain in the U.S. in J-2 status after the J-1 scholar has departed unless the absence is temporary.
Inviting a J-2 dependent
You may invite your spouse or unmarried, minor children to join your in the United States after arriving at MU by following these steps:
- Submit a request to add a dependent in myStatus.
- Provide evidence of yearly financial support for the dependent(s) as follows:
- $8,400 per year or $700 per month for spouse
- $4,800 per year or $400 per month for each child
- Pick up the new DS-2019 from ISSS that allows the dependent to apply for a J-2 visa.
Dependents apply for J-2 visas at a U.S. embassy/consulate with their own DS-2019. When applying for a J-2 visa, an original or certified copy of a marriage license (for a spouse) or birth certificate (for a child) must be submitted in addition to evidence of financial support. For information regarding additional documentation, consult the U.S. embassy/consulate.