If you are a J-1 student, please contact an international student adviser to discuss your transfer.
If you are an F-1 student, the process for transferring from one U.S. school to another is easy. Simply have your immigration record transferred from your current school to MU following these steps.
- Obtain admission to MU through the Office of Admissions or Graduate School.
- Tell a designated school official (usually an international student adviser) at your current school that you want to attend MU. Make sure you meet your current school’s requirements for transfer.
- Discuss the date you want to transfer to MU with a designated school official at your current school.
- The date you transfer schools is called your “release date.”
- As of this date, you will be considered an MU student and no longer a student at your current school.
- The date must be after the end of a semester at your current school and no more than five months before the beginning of the next semester at MU.
- The date must be during the 60-day grace period after the completion date of your program or optional practical training.
- Your employment authorization will end on your release date.
- Work with your school official to complete the Transfer In Recommendation form and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The designated school official at your current school will submit your transfer request to SEVIS. The official may want to know MU’s SEVIS number, which is KAN214F00635000.
- On your release date, SEVIS will electronically transfer your record to MU through SEVIS.
- MU will mail your new I-20 to you, or you can collect it from our office after you’ve arrived at MU. If you are traveling outside the U.S., you must use your MU I-20 when you re-enter the United States. If you are concerned that you may not get your MU I-20 before you leave the U.S., please contact us with your preferred home country mailing address, and we can send your document to you.