H-1B status is specific to the employer and terms of employment — you should maintain employment exactly as indicated on your H-1B petition. It is extremely important that you notify International Student and Scholar Services before any change is made to your employment, including job title, salary, hours, work location or job duties. Failure to have your employer process a new or amended H-1B petition could result in an interruption of employment.

You are not permitted to accept payment from any outside sources, including honoraria. However, you may be reimbursed for transportation and reasonable, incidental expenses incurred in connection with travel to other institutions or conferences if the following three conditions are true.

  • The activity is incidental to your employment as an H-1B.
  • You are not paid a wage or salary for your services.
  • You do not derive monetary or other material gain form the activities.

Social Security card

You must wait two full weeks from your date of entry into the United States before applying for a Social Security card. See the information about Social Security cards for application details and required documents.