Packing for study abroad

By Taylor C.

Sept. 2, 2016

Once again, I find myself in the agonizing position of waiting to leave on what could be my greatest adventure yet. My semester abroad is about to being and, if I’m being honest, it’s a little overwhelming. Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing that could stop me from getting on that plane in September, but this isn’t like anything I’ve ever done before. So far, the biggest challenge (besides wrapping my head around the fact that I’m going to be living in Paris!) has been deciding what to pack. Over the years, I’ve done plenty of packing and, at this point, I’d consider myself somewhat of an expert on the subject. I thought I’d take you with me through what I’m bringing on this three-month journey. To be honest, I feel as if I under packed in the areas where it should count in order to over pack in the areas that may not seem as important.

First things first: luggage. Seeing as I’ve never been on a trip this long before, I needed all new luggage. With the help of some family members I was able to obtain a backpack, carry-on and 32-inch bag to check. Somehow, they all turned out to have big elements of navy blue on them. It must have something to do with the fact that blue is the best color of all time. While color coordination is not essential, it does help to have bags that don’t look like everybody else’s bag. That is why I also have a bright blue strap for my checked bag.

backpack inside and out

My backpack will be the only bag that I can access on my flights, so it has some of the most important items in it. My bag can be opened two ways: first from the top, where there are two layers of drawstrings and clips that are pulled down to secure the opening; and second from a zipper pocket on the side, which is the only way to access the laptop pocket. I think these features are a nice bonus, but certainly not necessary.

Backpack contents

As for the inside of my backpack, the most important items are my passport and any foreign currency I might have already obtained. My bag has a special, hidden pocket inside where it will fit nicely. It’s also a good idea to bring a copy of your passport, as well. From there, my cameras (with memory cards), laptop and iPod take precedence. But what good would all of those things be without chargers? Speaking of chargers, those would be useless without outlet adapters and converters. Those are essential. After that, headphones, a couple journals, a good book, a pair of sunglasses, a water bottle and some locks for your luggage are always a good idea. That pretty much sums up the contents of my backpack. I am also planning to use this bag for short trips out of the country on the weekends.

cary-on and contents

My carry-on is actually less crowded, if you can believe it. My bag has three outside pockets, which I used to carry an umbrella, travel-sized toiletries and a money belt. On the inside, there is a mesh bag that I’m using to transport some school supplies. They could have easily been purchased abroad, but I thought this would be easier. In the main compartment, I have packed things that will be good for when I arrive in Paris. For example, I have an outfit for the next morning and some more toiletries so I can freshen up after a long day of travel. I also have some extras that I thought would be fun to bring. I’m big on photography, so besides the cameras in my backpack, I have packed a Polaroid camera and a Super 8 video camera, along with film for both. I also packed some extra photography accessories that wouldn’t fit in my backpack.

Plastic bags used to pack in checked bag

The contents of my checked bag are probably more self-explanatory. It includes all the standard stuff like clothes and a few pairs of shoes. I chose to use plastic packing bags for most of my clothes to take up the least amount of room possible. My bigger items, such as jackets and my winter coat, were rolled and packed tight. My shoes where placed in plastic bags to keep everything else clean. On top of all that, my particular study abroad program asked us to bring sheets and towels, as they would not necessarily be included in our apartments. All of this fit and I was left with room to spare.

I believe that about covers all of my bases. At least, I sure hope it does. I guess only time will tell.

About the blogger

Taylor C. is studying abroad on the ISA: French Language and Liberals Arts program in Paris, France.