Abroad in Lyon

By Olivia H.

March 27, 2019

A student with a large light-blue lake behind her. The lake is surrounded by snow-capped mountains.
This picture was taken in Annecy, France. Annecy is the perfect day trip. It is referred to as the Venice of the Alps due to the canals that run through the old town. This town is a little treasure that has something for everyone.

Moving to Lyon is easily the most exciting thing I have done in my life. I got my first passport last year in anticipation for a study abroad trip. Now, when I tell my new friends that this is the first time I have ever left America, I see the shock across their faces. I know it was bold to pick such a big trip for my first time abroad, but I have been looking forward to this for years. The greatest challenge was settling into a four-month endeavor without my support system close by, but navigating the other side of the world has run quite smoothly.

A view of a large city on the edge of a river. Sunshine breaking through numerous clouds above the city.
Maddie (also from Mizzou) and I stumbled upon this view about a week after our arrival. We just decided to walk around downtown after class. After about thirty minutes uphill on cobblestones, we found this breathtaking view of the city. The only view that compares is from the top of the Ferris Wheel, and we stumbled upon it by pure luck.

While I feel ease and even some familiarity in my daily routine, I simultaneously feel myself learning each day. From the daily vocab words I track in my journal to French customs to my academic affairs, I am fully aware of the unique and irreplaceable education I am acquiring. Beyond the French language expression; however, the friends I have made here represent even more mindsets. I am grateful to have met a lot of amazing people, most of whom are from other countries. Because of them, I am learning even more than I ever anticipated.

I have had amazing opportunities since arriving in France. I have the ability to visit other cities and countries, as well as explore the huge lively city I call home. I can go the extra step to enhance my experience when I want to.

About the blogger

Olivia H. is studying abroad on the Université Jean Moulin-Lyon III program in Lyon, France.