Rewarding

By Shelby D.

Jan. 15, 2020

If I had to pick one word to describe my experience in Costa Rica thus far it would be “rewarding”. I came expecting to learn about healthcare abroad and am leaving with so much more. Living with my host family has allowed me to become submerged in the culture while also working on my Spanish skills. During my homestay, Xinia (my host mom), managed to make me feel at home even though I couldn’t understand a word she was saying at the beginning of this trip. I came to Costa Rica with absolutely no Spanish background and will be leaving two weeks later, with enough knowledge to piece together what people are saying the majority of the time. This trip has pulled me out of my comfort zone, providing me with the opportunity to grow on both an academic and personal level.

Rainforest Waterfall
Hidden waterfall among plants and trees in Costa Rican rainforest.

When discussing this experience, what shocked me the most was learning about tourism within Monteverde. The impact tourism has had on the Monteverde community had never dawned on me until now. During seasons when tourism is high, individuals from outside communities often travel to Monteverde to seek work. This may seem like a positive outcome as it decreases unemployment during these months, but what happens when the number of tourists plummets during the off-season? It leaves many individuals without work and worrying about financial obligations. Tourism has also had a negative impact on the environment within Monteverde, as many tourists are not as environmentally conscious when compared to the locals. People living within Monteverde are aware of the changes happening with the environment and how pollution is having a negative impact within the cloud forests, making them more cautious of the footprint they leave.

Pollution
Costa Rican river polluted with plastics.

In the end, I have accomplished more on this trip than I ever thought possible and will forever cherish this experience. If I had to give one piece of advice to individuals completing their undergraduate degree, I would tell them to take advantage of all the opportunities presented to them. Studying abroad may seem intimidating, but opportunities like this are once in a lifetime. The connections you will make abroad and the immediate acceptance you receive from the local community will immediately ease any nerves you had prior to the trip.

Monteverde Scenery
Rainbow above Monteverde hills.

About the blogger

Shelby D. is studying abroad on the Public and Community Health: Nursing in Costa Rica program in   Costa Rica.