Saying goodbye to Norwich

By Macy L.

Dec. 14, 2021

Somehow it is the last week of my semester abroad in Norwich, England. How time really does fly when having fun. When I used to be asked, “What is the best thing you have ever done in your life?” I would say my trip to Europe in 2017. Now my response will be my semester abroad.

My time overseas has taught me more about myself and the world than I ever thought possible. I have learned more life lessons in four months than I have in 22 years. I grew from someone who was too nervous to ask for extra sauce at a restaurant to someone who can travel thousands of miles alone and have strangers become best friends. This experience has flashed by faster than I wanted, and I wish I could restart the clock just to experience it all again.

Macy posing in front of Edinburgh castle on a cloudy day.
The Edinburgh castle! I visited Edinburgh, Scotland, as my last trip with my friends.

Yesterday, I said goodbye to my friend Tillie as she left to go back to the United States, and I never knew how close of a friendship you could build in just four months. Tillie and I experienced the best and worst moments of studying abroad together. If it was running to our plane to Paris, visiting the Colosseum in Rome or crying during a heartfelt talk, I was lucky enough to have a friend who was willing to navigate life abroad with me. Saying goodbye to such a great friend made me realize just how truly amazing my time abroad has been, and how I will remember the memories I made here for the rest of my life.

Selfie of Macy (right) with her friend Tille dressed up on Halloween with skeleton dolls.
Tillie and I on Halloween. She dressed as a tourist and I wore cow ears!

In late November, my sister and her husband Cregg came to Norwich to visit me and the amazing city I have gotten to call home. Though I fear I am not the best tour guide, I attempted to show them the sites Norwich has to offer including the 1,000-year-old cathedral and the tradition of afternoon tea. My sister and I are Harry Potter nerds and have always talked about seeing the Harry Potter studio set tour in London. While she was here, we finally fulfilled that dream! Although the bus drive to the studios was absolutely miserable, and one of us may or may not have barfed along the way from motion sickness, the studio tour made us giddy with happiness. I feel so lucky that someone from my family would make the long journey to see me and the city I have made so many memories in.

Macy pushing a cart in to the brick wall with the sign for platform 9 and 3/4 for the Hogwarts Express.
On my way to Hogwarts! Had to do the classic platform 9 3/4 pose while at the Harry Potter studios in London.

It is impossible to put into words the gift that studying abroad has been; every second of every day in England has been a blessing, even the hard days taught me important lessons. Though everyone makes fun of the study abroad girl who talks about studying abroad 24/7, I fear I will definitely be talking about England every chance I get. To think I almost passed up on studying abroad out of fear is unimaginable; I truly do not know who I would be now without this experience. I have become the confident, resilient, independent and outgoing woman I always knew I could be thanks to this opportunity to live in England. So, thank you, Norwich, England, for bringing me the best friends and enough memories and happiness to last a lifetime. I hope one day I can return!

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: University of East Anglia