Practical tips: Packing for Jordan

By Evann T.

Jan. 5, 2022

Traveling to a new country can be exciting and intimidating for a lot of reasons. You know the adventure in front of you will be full of unknowns. One thing that can be difficult before you leave is not knowing quite what you will and won’t need once you get there. Most study abroad programs will provide students with a general packing list, but here I’ll try to share a few specific tips that have been helpful to my experience in Amman, Jordan.

Skyline view of the city buildings with desert behind.
Views of Madaba from the bell tower of the Church of St. John the Baptist.

Shoes

I planned to do some hikes on the weekends and wondered if I should bring full hiking boots. I decided against it and instead invested in some quality tennis shoes with good traction and support. Now I’m thankful I didn’t lug a heavy pair of boots all the way here to leave in my closet most of the time. Even though Amman is a very developed city, streets and sidewalks are often uneven and unpredictable. You are also likely to walk a lot since you won’t have your own car and frequent Ubering can get expensive. Because of this, having a good pair of tennis shoes is a must. Even though Jordan is mostly desert, it actually has rained more often than I expected, so waterproofing your kicks is not a bad idea either.

Pharmacy: Though many medications are called by different names outside the U.S., most common over-the-counter items are readily accessible in Amman. Of course, if you have specific prescription needs, you will want to bring enough for the course of your study abroad. Two basic things that have been surprisingly difficult to find, however, are Tums and Pepto-Bismol. Especially as your digestive system gets used to the variations of a new country, these two are great to have on hand. Also, tampons and tooth flosser-picks are hard to find. Many American brands of drug-store items like shampoo, toothpaste, face wash, deodorant and lotion are easy to find. If you’re looking to pack lighter, I’d bring just a few days’ worth of the basics and restock when you arrive.

Clothes

Jordan is a conservative country compared to the U.S., but a relatively progressive country for the region. This means you’ll see people wearing a wide variety of clothing. This can range from women in niqabs (a loose-fitting cloak and hijab combination covering all but the eyes) to other women wearing tight-fitting jeans and T-shirts. As a common rule, it is best for visiting students to dress in a way that is comfortable, but probably more modest than at home in order to attract less unwanted attention.

Evann in appropriate Jordan clothing with labels pointing to each piece.
In front of the Petra Treasury

With the exception of playing sports and in some gyms, shorts are not acceptable. Both for men and women, if you’re leaving the house you’ll want your legs fully covered. Any clothes that show your shoulders, midriff, or chest are probably best left at home as well. A few of my favorite high-frequency items like REI Sahara pants and lightweight/layered tops have gone a long way. It’s also fun and easy to pick up super cheap used clothing from a local market called Souk Jumea.

Other

It is not unlikely to find your shower or kitchen drains somewhat blocked when you arrive. A plastic hair snake tool might seem like a random thing to pack, but they have been impossible to find and considering how little space it takes up, I wish I had just thrown one in my suitcase.

If you like bringing coffee or tea with you from home during the day, be sure to pack your favorite thermos. They can be stupid expensive here. I don’t know why, but Walmart-brand thermoses I’ve found are around 30 JD, or $45.

Since tap water is not drinkable here, I thought it might be worthwhile to purchase a water purifying bottle. This may be convenient in more rural areas, but personally, I have never used it in Amman. Drinking water is often delivered Culligan-jug style, available through installed kitchen filters or otherwise easy to pick up from corner stores.

Finally, if you have a favorite book or some small mementos from home to give away at the end of your trip, it can be a really sweet way to thank your teachers and new friends before saying farewell.

Students standing against a railing looking out at the desert land and mountains.
Students overlooking the Jordan/Palestine border from Mount Nebo.
Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: CET: Study in Amman, Jordan