Norwegian Edvards

By Hannah B.

June 30, 2022

Throughout my stay in Norway, I learned of two famous Norwegian men whose names were both Edvard.

The first one is Edvard Munch. He was an artist and his most famous painting is “The Scream.” I had the opportunity to visit the newly built Munch Museum in Norway’s capital, Oslo, to see the original versions of Munch’s painting. At the museum, I was able to appreciate Munch’s various art pursuits which consisted of more than just paintings. Munch also did woodworking and sketches.

Edvard Munch's "The Scream" in a wooden frame on a black background.
The Scream

People look at framed artwork on the white walls of an art gallery.
Inside gallery at Munch Museum

The other famous Edvard from Norway is Edvard Grieg. He is a famous composer who wrote pieces such as “Morning Mood,” which has been used in countless movies. Since Grieg was from the city I have been studying in, Bergen, just a short walk lead me to his house which they have turned into a museum. I attended a piano concert inside a beautiful music hall that they built overlooking Grieg’s old music writing hut. It was a very beautiful experience to overlook the fjord that inspired much of his music.

A small building with large glass windows and a grass-covered roof sits in a lush garden.
Grounds of Grieg’s residence

Rows of chair slope down to a stage with a single piano. A small red hut is visible through large class windows beyond the stage.
Inside concert hall viewing writing hut
Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: University of Bergen