Changing like the seasons

By Kyleigh S.

March 22, 2023

The city of Sevilla is beginning to bloom into an array of colors, sunshine and flowers as the spring season approaches. Like the seasons, which each bring new sights, smells and aesthetics. My opinions, ideas and understanding of studying abroad continue to transpire like the seasons around me.

Now two months into my study abroad in Sevilla, I no longer feel like a tourist in the city who is star eyed at every tourist attraction or sight. Although the cathedral’s beauty is forever captivating and the Plaza de España’s architecture stops me in my tracks, these spots have become more normalized in my everyday routine. As the flowers bloom, I am starting to understand my identity as a “local” in Sevilla. Of course, I have moments in Sevilla that made me want to cry and run from the hard times of living in a foreign country. With this, I have learned that I bloom into a stronger person in the most challenging times. Learning a different way of life and defining life has been an adjustment. At moments I feel myself being stubborn in my way of life that I am used to in the States. When I begin to rush or try to fill my schedule full of activities because my days in Sevilla are slipping away, I laugh at this American habit — the comfort we Americans find in a rigid to-do list and calendar.

When I am going to be late for class, I bring myself back to the present and remember that Spanish time means 10 minutes after the actual time; the minor cultural differences challenge me daily. Springtime is a time of awakening, newfound energy and excitement for the next season, the best season — summer. For the first time, I feel excited for this spring. I feel myself coming into a moment of peace, living and learning from my struggles. That is the study abroad experience for you.

As each month fades into the other, I am slowly becoming bright in my identity in Sevilla. More confident in my ability to do everyday life like a true Sevillano. More importantly, you are more at peace with the hard days (because they exist and are more common than you believe). So take the sad, irritated, homesick days with ease and know that emotion is like a rollercoaster ride. A continues up and down that will pass eventually, so give yourself time, wherever you are — abroad or not — to truly feel every second and bloom into a new season of you.

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: CEA: Advanced Spanish Language and Culture in Seville