American fashion in Milan

By Kierra J.

Nov. 7, 2023

One of the most fascinating parts about studying abroad is getting to experience cultural differences. There are so many behaviors that I had considered to be universal, but I later realized they were only normal in the United States. One of the most visible cultural differences is the way that people dress. Milan is considered the fashion capital of the world, and similar to many other big European cities, people are always dressed for success. In the United States, it is very common to see people wearing baggy sweats to class or shorts and flip-flops to run errands. In Milan, you will rarely see anyone outside of the house in athleisure. Even when people go to the gym, they will shower and bring a change of clothes with them. This is because Italians care a lot about “Bella Figura,” or in English, making good impressions. Thus, they want to present themselves nicely at all times. It has been challenging to adapt to this way of life, not only because my suitcase limited my clothing options, but because I am so used to dressing like a typical college student. My everyday outfits usually consisted of leggings and a crewneck sweatshirt. However, living in Milan has helped me appreciate the art of making a good impression. I am very grateful for this cultural difference because I have learned so much about my style.

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: Global Internship Milan