Ikebukuro’s delightful desserts

By Christopher H.

Nov. 22, 2023

For a class project, my friend and I were tasked with creating a pamphlet showcasing unique aspects of a city of our choice. I had the idea of trying sweets shops, but wasn’t sure where to go. My friend chose Ikebukuro, a place known for its entertainment industry, and not so much for its sweets. We wanted to bring to light all the unique and delicious sweet shops that many people may not realize are offered in Ikebukuro. From anmitsu and kakigori – both staples of Japanese desserts – to Western cakes and confectioneries; all it takes is to find the right shops.

kaki (1)
Strawberry White Chocolate Kakigori

One of the best desserts I found was a kakigori shop. It was a hidden gem in a basement, somewhat far from the Ikebukuro Station. They offer large spheres of shaved milk-ice topped with different syrups. It is the perfect treat for a hot summer day. I ordered a mint chocolate flavored one while my friend ordered a strawberry white chocolate one. As they were placed before us, we were surprised by the sheer size of them. They looked like soccer balls placed in tiny cups. What’s great about kakigori is that due to it being finely shaved ice, it has a light and fluffy consistency that melts immediately in your mouth. Sort of like how cotton candy appears very large, but quickly disintegrates after taking a bite. So thankfully, despite the daunting appearance, we were easily able to finish our desserts. I’ll just say, they were some of the best tasting desserts we have tried.

Crepe (1)
Stuffed crepes

Another shop that caught my interest was a charming little stuffed crepe shop by the side of a road. We ordered three flavors total: Strawberry, custard, and caramel. The soft and fluffy crepe was filled to the brim with cream and fruits, making it a fulfilling dessert for anyone with a sweet tooth. The strawberry was my favorite, not only did it look amazing, it tasted even better. I feel that the pictures speak for themselves with this place.

parfait (1)
Fruit parfait

Last but not least was a quaint cafe that serves both Japanese and Western sweets. This one is within walking distance from the station. Their anmitsu and parfait were refreshing. Both included fresh fruit, every bite of which was perfectly ripe. The anmitsu was topped with a sweet syrup and the parfait with a light and refreshing whipped cream. It is a wonderful place to relax and take your sweet time.

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: Sophia University