Oct. 25, 2018
This fall marks the 20th anniversary of the Asian Affairs Center. The Center celebrated during MU Homecoming week with several events, including a formal welcome/appreciation dinner for distinguished guests and overseas visitors, a symposium “Global Entrepreneurship and Transnational Labor Market,” a golf tournament and a pig roast tailgate right before the MU vs. Memphis homecoming game (66 to 33 – Go Tigers!).
Special attendees included:
- Terry Weidner, inaugural director of the Asian Affairs Center
- Bob Holden, governor of Missouri (2001 – 2005)
- Wang Sik Kim, Ewha Woman’s University, Seoul, Korea
- Tao Zhang, Sichuan International Studies University, Chongqing, China
- Shyang-Yuh “Shine” Wang, Chinese Culture University, Taipei, Taiwan
- Hank Ma, director, Missouri Trade & Investment Office – Taiwan
- Paul Synn, president, Keiin Institute, Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic
- And numerous alumni and visitors from South Korea, China, Taiwan, Thailand and Kyrgyzstan.
While the atmosphere was of celebration and pride in past accomplishments, there was also a lot of talk of the future plans for the Asian Affairs Center. The Asian Affairs Center remains committed to “improving the world, one friendship at a time” by providing personal attention to our students, scholars, alumni and partners alike for many more decades to come!