International travel

Travel registration

MU faculty and staff traveling abroad on a university-related program or trip with MU students are asked to register in the International Travel Registry. Registering provides access to the AlertTraveler security software and key information regarding the UnitedHealthcare Global insurance.

Faculty and staff members traveling abroad on university-related business without students or other participants are not required to register in the International Travel registry. However, they may register their travel following the process outlined on the UM System Risk and Insurance Management website, which provides information about university-contracted international insurance and other resources.

Mizzou technology abroad

Review Mizzou technology abroad for information about multifactor authentication, VPN and eduroam internet access.

Health and safety

The UM System has secured services and insurance for authorized business travel for faculty and staff at no cost while on official international travel. This insurance is separate from your employee plan. See the UM System website for coverage details and how to access an insurance ID card.

The MU Health Care travel clinic can help you medically prepare for travel abroad. Services include immunizations, travel-related prescriptions and information on environmental conditions in your destination, including water, food, insect-borne diseases and weather. Note that travel medications and immunizations are typically not covered by the university’s medical insurance plans.

U.S. Department of State international travel information includes travel advisories, country-specific information and the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.

Passport and visa information

U.S. passport information is available on the Department of State website. You can apply for a passport at the International Center. Citizens of other countries should contact their home country embassy/consulate for information about how to obtain, renew or replace their passport.

To determine whether you need a visa for your trip, consult the Department of State country information for your destination(s). You may also contact the embassy/consulate in the U.S. of your destination country(s) for further information.

Export and sanctions compliance

When traveling abroad on university business, be aware that export control and sanctions restrictions may apply depending on your travel destination(s) and any university equipment that you intend to send or take with you outside of the United States. Traveling with certain types of items, materials or equipment (including but not limited to laptops, encrypted devices, cell phones, GPS units, scientific equipment, research samples) or with controlled proprietary research data or information, in any format, may require that an export license or other governmental approval be obtained before you depart. Please remember, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria, and the Crimea, Donetsk and Luhansk regions of Ukraine are comprehensively sanctioned and all interactions with people in these locations needs reviewed by Research Security and Compliance. Learn more about export controls and sanctions.