Lead a program abroad

Faculty-led study abroad programs allow Mizzou students to enroll in regular MU courses and participate in a set-itinerary program led and instructed by an MU faculty member. Courses fulfill major, minor or general education requirements, and students can use most financial aid in the same way they would for on-campus courses. MU offers faculty-led programs during winter break, spring break and summer, and the programs vary in length from one to eight weeks.

These programs often appeal to students because they can take actual MU courses that apply directly toward their degree programs, they are traveling with other MU students and they know the professor leading the program.

The best way to start planning a new program is to assess students’ interest in study abroad destinations and course options. To determine if there is a need for a new program, consider:

  • Current options: Does MU currently offer study abroad programs in the same location or with the same academic offerings? If so, what would make your program different?
  • Student demand: Why would students be interested in participating in the program? How can you assess or develop interest?
  • Academic fit: How will your program help students fulfill major, minor or general education requirements?

The vice provost for International Programs reviews all proposals for new faculty-led study abroad programs in accordance with the University of Missouri Collected Rules and Regulations. The specific program proposal and review process depends on which MU office administers the program.

Mizzou Study Abroad-administered programs

The Mizzou Study Abroad Office collaborates with faculty across campus to develop and administer faculty-led programs. The study abroad staff work closely with academic departments to add a global dimension to students’ Mizzou educations through these programs. If you are interested in submitting a program proposal, email studyabroad@missouri.edu to discuss the process and important considerations for new programs.

Divisional office-administered programs

The following divisions have their own study abroad offices that administer programs:

  • College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources
  • School of Journalism
  • Trulaske College of Business

If your division has its own study abroad office, you should submit your proposal to the appropriate office according to its procedures and deadlines. These offices provide primary support for the development and administration of programs in their areas.

Additionally, you must complete and submit the Divisional Office Short-term Study Abroad Program Proposal to be reviewed by the vice provost for International Programs. Completed proposal should be submitted to the director of study abroad.