Emergency information

What is an emergency?

An emergency is a situation that poses an immediate threat to health, safety or security. Examples of emergencies include:

  • Life-threatening situation
  • Serious illness or injury
  • Student is a victim of violent assault
  • Arrest of a student
  • Threat of harm to self or others

Emergency assistance contact information

Fill out this emergency information card and carry it with you at all times while you are abroad.

If you are seriously injured or sick

  1. Go to the closest medical facility.
  2. Contact GeoBlue insurance at +1 610-254-8771 (collect calls accepted).
  3. Contact your on-site contact person.

For any emergency

Call the MU 24/7 emergency assistance line through the MU Police Department at +1 573-882-7201. The department will contact an appropriate MU staff member to assist you.

U.S. embassies and consulates

Should you encounter an emergency in your host country, including civil unrest or a natural disaster, or if you are arrested, a victim of a crime or your passport is lost or stolen, the nearest U.S. embassy/consulate can offer assistance. U.S. consular officials can help you with the local policy and medical systems if you are a victim of a crime, help you contact your family, provide information about conditions in the host country during civil unrest or natural disasters, or help you replace a lost or stolen passport. If you are arrested abroad, contact the U.S. embassy/consulate immediately. One of the highest priorities of U.S. embassies and consulates abroad is to provide assistance to U.S. citizens incarcerated abroad to ensure fair and humane treatment. If you are not a U.S. citizen, you should contact your home country embassy/consulate to obtain assistance in the event of an emergency.


If you are a U.S. citizen, you should register your travel with the U.S. Department of State Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. This travel registration makes it possible for you to be contacted in case of an emergency in the U.S. or in your host country. Additionally, if you will be traveling independently before, during or after your program, you should register that travel with STEP and as a side trip in your myStudyAbroad account. Once you have registered your travel, your family can send an emergency message to you through the Office of Overseas Citizens Services by calling 888-407-4747 (from the U.S.) or +1 202-501-4444 (from abroad).