Dear MU international students and scholars,
We’re reaching out to let you know we share your concerns for family, friends and colleagues as India is experiencing a second wave of COVID-19 infections. On April 30, 2021, the White House announced certain travelers who were physically present in India during the 14-day period preceding their entry to the U.S. would be prohibited from entering the United States.
This proclamation is effective at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time on Tuesday, May 4, 2021. It does not apply to persons aboard a flight scheduled to arrive in the United States that departed prior to 12:01 a.m. EDT on May 4. This proclamation will be in effect until further notice.
The U.S. Department of State announced that students and certain academics covered by exchange visitor programs may qualify for a National Interest Exception:
- Students with a valid F-1 visa do not need to contact an embassy or consulate to obtain a National Interest Exception. Please note that you may not enter the U.S. more than 30 days prior to the start of the fall semester.
- Students who are traveling and need to renew their visa will need to contact the embassy or consulate to schedule a visa appointment. Once approved, you will automatically be considered for a National Interest Exception.
- J-1 scholars should contact their nearest embassy or consulate to inquire whether they qualify for a National Interest Exception.
Individuals who qualify for a National Interest Exception and are choosing to travel should review our most recent guidance.
We want to remind you that if you need help, please reach out to us! There are many resources across campus that may help alleviate the anxiety or stress that you may be feeling. Take a few minutes to consider the following resources available to you and contact them if you need help:
- Counseling Center
- Student Health Center
- Accountability Services – Care Coordinator
- International Student and Scholar Services
ISSS will continue to monitor this development and post any updates as soon as they are known. Please know that we care deeply for all our international faculty, staff and students and are working hard to support your safety and success at Mizzou.