University-related travel abroad must be registered in International Travel Registry

May 6, 2019

The University of Missouri Collected Rules and Regulations have been expanded to require that the following types of university-related travel be registered in the International Travel Registry:

  • MU students participating on university-related international activities, including conducting research, attending conferences or participating in any university-contracted travel abroad.
  • Faculty, staff and volunteers leading MU study abroad programs or university-related international activities.
  • Non-enrolled participants — anyone accompanying a university-related international activity or MU study abroad program who is not enrolled as a student or serving as a program leader.

This does not impact MU students participating on study abroad program, who register through their study abroad applications. Additionally, faculty and staff members traveling abroad on university-related business without students or other participants should follow the process outlined on the UM System Risk and Insurance Management website, which provides information about university-contracted international insurance and other resources.

Travel registration provides access to university support and resources, including:

  • UM System-negotiated international sickness and accident insurance;
  • Security intelligence and access to AlertTraveler, the university’s security software;
  • Security, political, natural disaster and medical evacuation services;
  • In event of emergency, campus and university medical, legal and financial support services available on the MU campus.

If you have questions about the travel registration process, please contact Barbara Lindeman, director of student international health, safety and security.