Employment and internships

Some sponsors do not permit any employment. Other sponsors may permit only certain types of employment. Engaging in employment without prior approval from your sponsor may negatively impact your sponsorship. See your terms of award or contact your sponsor for more information.

J-1 student employment

J-1 students are required to obtain work authorization before:

  • Beginning new employment.
  • Working more hours than originally authorized or re-distributing hours across multiple work authorizations.
  • Ending employment.
  • Current work authorization expires.

If you have been offered any type of on-campus position, remember that you must receive authorization for your position before you begin working. This is a requirement for maintaining your J-1 status. if you have been working without proper authorization, contact the Sponsored Student Program immediately so we can assist.

J-1 on-campus employment can only be authorized for one year or until the end date of your DS-2019, whichever comes sooner. If you plan to continue employment, you will need to request a renewal of your employment authorization.

For more information about J-1 regulations, see the employment information for all international students.

Academic Training

If your DS-2019 is sponsor-managed, be aware of the processing time frames. Submit your request well in advance to ensure that your Academic Training is approved prior to your start date. If you are a Fulbright grantee, you will be required to submit your Academic Training request five weeks prior to your desired start date. You are not allowed to begin your position until you have received approval.

Internships and clinicals

Internships and clinicals are often a required component of your degree program at MU and are necessary to ensure that you receive proper training in your field. As an international student, these training components of your degree require proper authorization through SEVIS. If you are enrolled in an internship or clinical practice course for the current semester and have not yet requested proper authorization, follow the instructions below to do so at your earliest convenience.

You should not engage in training without authorization. Even if an internship is unpaid, you must still obtain employment authorization. If your I-20/DS-2019 is sponsor-managed, you must contact your sponsor to request their guidance on receiving proper authorization.

For more information about employment authorization, review the information for your status: