Jan. 30, 2020
Greetings from the MU Sponsored Student Program!
This newsletter includes updates and information that we hope will be useful to our students, departments and sponsoring organizations. Last semester, we began implementing virtual advising sessions. We also added an additional in-person advising session to our existing schedule. We hope these changes will continue to improve how our team supports sponsored students at Mizzou. Thank you for your continued support of the Sponsored Student Program! Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be a resource to you or your students.
- Meet Dr. Mary Stegmaier, interim vice provost for International Programs and interim director of the International Center
- Undergraduate Studies launches career outcomes website
- Get word out to the international community with Global Tigers announcements
Sponsored student shout-out
Spotlight: Palwasha Marwat
Palwasha Marwat (IIE) was officially recognized as a 2019–2021 Jackson Scholar at the 2019 UCEA conference in New Orleans. This two-year program provides professional networking, opportunities for professional development, mentoring and development of graduate students who intend to become faculty in the field of educational leadership. Palwasha has also been selected to present her paper on the gender portrayal of Disney princesses and its influence on young Pakistani girls at the 2020 Comparative International Education Symposium. Congratulations, Palwasha!
- Pedro Carrion Castagnola (LASPAU), 2019 Outstanding Computer Science Master’s Student Award
- Diana Fidarova (IIE) and Astrid Benoelken (American Councils) with Nana Naskidashvili (Fulbright alumna) and Beverly Horvit, Best Poster Award (Faculty) at the 2019 AEJMC Conference
- Rasha Gargees (Iraq HCED), 2019 Women in Engineering Award
- Palwasha Marwat (IIE), 2019 MISC International Recognition Award
- Raghad Nasraldeen (SACM), elected to Muslim Student Organization executive board
- Velaphe Thipe (IIE), 2019 Graduate Professional Council International Student Award
- Tipparat Udmuangpia (Royal Thai Government), 2019 International Engagement Award for Outstanding Student Contribution
- Tipparat Udmuangpia (Royal Thai Government), elected to Subcommittee on International Student Recruitment and Experience
Thank you to:
- Sohaila Bakr (IIE – STEP)
- Olga Romanova (IIE)
- Ahsaan Khan (IREX)
- Zahra Al Saeed (SACM)
- Liliya Roshchenko (YEAR)
- Monica Perez (IIE)
- Farah Abdelhafid (Iraq HCED)
These students volunteered with Kaleidoscope to expand the horizons of local elementary and secondary school students. We are grateful for your contributions to the community!
Are we missing something? Tell us about your service and accomplishments!
Mizzou in the news
- Mizzou’s Nobel Laureate: Dr. George Smith wins 2018 Nobel Prize in Chemistry
- Mizzou Journalism: Faculty, students and alumni present over 60 papers at AEJMC Conference in Toronto
- MU named a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyberdefense
- ASEE recognizes Mizzou Engineering
- MU Health Care named an ALS Certified Treatment Center of Excellence
Meet the team
Learn more about the Sponsored Student Program.